Sunday, January 01, 2006

Banana Pudding


My Landlady gave me some banana pudding to help celebrate New Year's Eve. Everyone else went out to dinner and left me behind with Fred and Charlotte.



It was pretty easy to make the banana pudding, as it was, after all, from a box.



However, I was so put out at being left behind that I ate the whole bowl of pudding. Fred and Charlotte got really mad! In order to get them to stop spitting grape seeds at me, I decided to make them some banana pudding from scratch.

You may notice that the banana pudding recipe is remarkably similar to the chocolate pudding I made for Friday's Web:

3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 cups milk (lowfat okay)
1/4 cup of maple syrup or sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon of banana extract
few drops of yellow food coloring (optional)

Mix cold milk and cornstarch together. Add sweetener and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. When the mixture begins to thicken and boil (bubbles break surface), turn off the heat, add the vanilla, banana extract and food coloring, and stir. Let the pudding cool until it is thick enough to eat. Sharing is optional.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Pudding, pudding and more pudding, you guys sure the love the stuff. I just noticed, Charlotte looks alot gruffer than even you. What gives? Not liking your fair city to well? I keep forgetting to mention that my cousin just moved to Seattle to attend Seattle University and study statistics of all things. She loves it there.

Brad the Gorilla said...

Nonny: Charlotte says that cool people don't smile for photos, and since she wants to be cool, she's not going to smile. Tickle her feet, though, and she's a barrel of laughs.

LH: LH, the maple syrup, especially if it's Grade B, has nutrients. It's still sugar, of course, but it has nutrients that sugar doesn't have. I'm sure it would make a great banana cream pie, except that the pudding never sticks around long enough for me to find out.