Friday, January 06, 2006

Elvis Invitationals 2006


To my surprise, I have been invited to take part in the 2006 Elvis Invitationals. This is a yearly event in celebration of The King's birthday, which is January 8.

I must admit, I'm in a state of pleasant shock and disbelief. You see, I thought I had been banned from ever again taking part in the Invitationals. Now, I need to get my Elvis costume quickly to the drycleaners and back in time for the contest. I also need to figure out which song I'm going to sing. It's important to choose a song that fits my vocal range but that a dozen other Elvii aren't going to sing as well. I've been up practicing for most of the night, and I've got the choices down to three selections:

From a Jack to a King

I Slipped, I Stumbled, I Fell

Polk Salad Annie

12 comments:

Liz said...

That blogpoll thing is really cool. Good luck! I hope picture will be forthcoming.

Brad the Gorilla said...

Thanks, Nonny! Don't forget to vote.

Pirate said...

No its, "Thank you, thank you very much".

Brad the Gorilla said...

Indeed, Pirate. I don't know what I was thinking!

Anonymous said...

Don't be cruel. You simply must post a picture. I shall be all shook up if you do not. Suspicious minds want to know if you'll win? Just tell them it's time for a little less coversation and that you won't be returning to sender the trophy.

Anonymous said...

I just received a seasonal gift (I won't mention the holiday that motivated the gift, for as you know we are at war with that holiday) of a book of Elvis songs. There are a couple of hundred songs in the book, but none of your choices are among them.

"Polk Salad Annie" reminds me of a time some 30 years ago when I was down south visiting the Landlady and her family. The Landlady's mother made a dessert that until today I thought was called Poke Pie. Now I realize it must have been Polk Pie. Suffice it to say that the Landlady's mother really outdid herself that day.

Brad the Gorilla said...

Turd Blossom--
I am shocked, simply shocked, that your Elvis book isn't comprehensive. "Polk Salad Annie" is particularly appealing because of the "Chic a bon, chic a bon, chic a bon bon bon bon"s. But as Lady Hearteater pointed out, "I Slipped..." is the only song that mentions bananas. The Polk Pie sounds tasty (salad pie, yum yum). Recipes, anyone?

Anonymous said...

What happened to "Love Me Tender"?

Ivanhoe

Brad the Gorilla said...

Ivanhoe-
I'm concerned that the contest is going to be thick with "Love Me Tender"s. I need to stand out somehow.

Anonymous said...

oh geez. somehow i misread that title as "pork pie annie" shows you how little elvis i know!

Anonymous said...

d'oh! i mean "pork salad annie"--the image of a pork salad was a bit disturbing somehow.

Brad the Gorilla said...

It looks like it's a tie, anyway, between "Polk Salad Annie" and "I Slipped..."