Monday, December 26, 2005

Flashback

Happy Boxing Day!

Traditionally, Boxing Day was the holiday when lords and ladies gave presents to their servants. Over the centuries, it turned into a big shopping day. Now, I am proud to announce that for the first time ever, Boxing Day has nothing to do with shopping and everything to do with sparring. My Landlord is going to host a big Boxing Day game-session in the basement. All of his buddies think they're coming over to play his new board game, Orks Go Berserk on Pretty Ponies, but really, they will have to pummel each other until someone agrees to go upstairs to get more beer.

What will be more interesting is Brad's Boxing Day Grudge-Match held upstairs in the living room. My Landlady doesn't know about it yet, but she'll find out sometime before it starts, if not immediately thereafter. Fear not, I'll post photos of the event. In the meantime, I am enclosing a snippet of my life culled from the pages of Hitman J's Weekly Word Verifier contest:

The word-verifier jumble "cbies" reminds me of my childhood, when I rode in my mother's truck and played with her CB Radio. My mother, I think I've mentioned, was a big-time activist in her day. She was always lobbying for gorilla rights, and communicated with her cohorts primarily by CB Radio. (This was in the day way before cell-phones were anything but daydreams for the common primate.) My mother was always using special codes on the radio, and I wanted to do the same. The trouble is, I didn't know what any of the codes were. I got us into trouble sometimes. For example...

*
Young Brad on CB: Chocolate pudding on banana sticks straight ahead!

Real meaning: The elephants are stampeding the marketplace. Send reinforcements immediately.

Young Brad on CB: I'm smoking 12 stinky cigars!

Real meaning: Please send 12 dozen pizzas to the mayor, and put them on his bill.

Young Brad on CB: Underpants! Hankie! Flush the toilet!

Real meaning: All members of the liberation squad immediately report to the ice-cream stand and await further instructions.
*

As you can guess, I spent a lot of time in the Uncooperative Chair.



No comments: