Friday, October 07, 2005

Early ape gets the fruit-basket


Strictly out of curiosity, I walked into the new Grocery Outlet store this morning. As I entered the doorway, cameras flashed and people shook my hand. "You are our first customer!" they cheered. I came home with a free fruit-basket. The second customer, a woman with a seven month old baby, said, "I can't believe they don't sell diapers! Now I have to go to Target, and I haven't gotten any sleep in weeks."

While Grocery Outlet had a decent assortment of produce, I was unimpressed by the plethora of prepackaged diet meals (I use the word "meal" in the loosest sense of the word only.) Most if not all of us wanted Metropolitan Market to move into that lot. Hey, Metropolitan Market wanted to move into that lot. The folks at Grocery Outlet went over the heads of our local contacts to the humans in Florida who own the property. By the time I found out about this shady behavior, the deal was done.

To customer #2: you will get your diapers or my name is not Bradley the Gorilla. Selling diapers at Outlet stores is a no-brainer. They will get their acts together or they will go under.

In the meantime, would you like a kiwifruit? I've got plenty to spare.

P.S. I tried to make tapioca pudding with pureed papaya. Not only did it not work, but the pudding turned out bitter. I should have known better. The last time I tried to cook mango, it ended up tasting like squash. I like squash, but it was a waste of a perfectly good mango.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now if only that fruit basket was hanging, then I'd finally be on my way to getting my wish to see photos of "The Five Places You'd Run Away to" I have not forgotten ;)

Andrew said...

Good show, brother!